Feedback/Suggestions

Suggestions to the game can be made here.
spoon

Feedback/Suggestions

Post by spoon » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:26 am

Firstly, all the praise... thank you and well done. :D

Important points

The combat system needs some new math, the gameplay and design implications of having a flat DR value on armor is huge and to name but one; faster weapons incur the DR more often.

That I'm aware blocking only occurs when you're in combat (actively attacking) and an enemy hits you for 0, meaning its only effect on gameplay is to grant you 1 exp when you mitigate all damage. It's also a requirement for sets, currently only Serpent(?) though I hear there will be more 'mid-tier' sets that will require 's:block'. The implication to gameplay is (contingent on their being increasing 's:block' requirements) players having to 'grind' on enemies that can no longer damage them in order to gain block exp. EDIT: players are/will be encouraged to use the worst weapon available in order to maximise this exp gain to meet requirements and lowering requirements flirts with them being arbitrary.
This is a problem we already see with 's:healing', myself (and others) having bought a large stacks of Tea to spam level the skill because it's both a great source of experience but also too beneficial in every sense. The imbalance/delta this will create between players is potentially, dare I say, 'game breaking'.

In regards to these things you'll need to ask yourself whether you intend and or want players to engage in some of the activities I mentioned for the purposes stated, if you do that's entirely your prerogative though the implications will persist. The more players the game has the more prevalent certain issues will become. Right now with 4/5 active players they're not an issue, but they are fundamental issues.

Suggestions

CHANGE THE MATH! I'm willing to help you with this but I need to know the 'factors' (lvl/stats/skills) you would like included in their respective formulas (or at least how you would like certain things to function) and the current internal values for applicable stats and mechanics.
I'm sure others from the community would be able help or add insight.

HEALING! Because you've assigned the mechanic a skill (a variable) it has a lot of potental so in it's current state of 'all or nothing', aside from it having obvious balance implications, it has no depth.
In the vein of what you currently have there's a couple suggestions I would make;
(maybe) change functionalities for potions/food respectively where potions always heal a static amount but are much harder/more expensive to obtain and food could either always heal a smaller base amount then a *possible(?)* bonus amount based on 'factors' or continue to function similar to now. It might be worth pointing out that currently Kisnard's 's:healing' is effectively Dransik's First Aid skill. Intentional?

CRAFTING!
Personally while I like crafting systems in games and will occasionally dabble the idea of (after having obtained the prerequisite resources) having to crawl through a crafting UI and make the same items thousands of times as a means to an end is offputting to say to least. Unfortunately trades that are focused on creating equipment which quickly becomes obsolete fall prey to this, though Alchemy and it's access to consumables might redeem it still. I would propose an entirely different approach for trades which should fit into the framework you've already created if you're open to it?
Alternatively I quite like the idea of there being a 'practice' workbench or forge where you simply use ingots/planks to gain trade exp similar to Milling/Smelting, you could even add 'random events'.

WEIGHT!!?? If you've a fractional weight system in place then most things need to weigh a lot less, if not players need more weight per stat point. Healing having a large chance to fail exacerbates the feeling of not being able to carry nearly enough. I've noticed that equipment in comparison to consumables and resources is incredibly light, even though equipment consists of several ingots/planks. If you think the weight for equipment is about right then perhaps balance around that, sticking to some kind of logic. Maybe consider a system of encumberment rather than a strict limit?

MISC/BUGS!
Weight value for items is not yet on tooltips.
Picking something up from the floor resets assigned reuse item.
Remove the overweight popup message, perhaps make it a message received in chat?
Enemy tracking and movement in general needs work, any idea how you intend for it to work?
I'm of the mind that failing at anything should grant you experience.
Not a fan of too many strict stat requirements, always found being able to combine stats/equipment together in creative ways compelling.

...think that's about it. :geek:

admin
Site Admin

Re: Feedback/Suggestions

Post by admin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:08 pm

spoon wrote: Weight value for items is not yet on tooltips.
May add this later but super low priority.
spoon wrote: Picking something up from the floor resets assigned reuse item.
was as designed, but i just changed it - will be in patch tonight
spoon wrote: Remove the overweight popup message, perhaps make it a message received in chat?
now goes in chat as (red) message - will be in patch tonight
spoon wrote: Enemy tracking and movement in general needs work, any idea how you intend for it to work?
no bug here, if you have a suggestion - suggest it
spoon wrote: I'm of the mind that failing at anything should grant you experience.
crafting tradeskills now grant 1/3 exp
spoon wrote: Not a fan of too many strict stat requirements, always found being able to combine stats/equipment together in creative ways compelling.
some gear will only require level requirements, class gear will remain as is
spoon wrote: The combat system needs some new math
Your hit minus their armor. Your elemental hit minus their armor. I'm going to add in bonus to your attacks based on your weapon type skill level. Suggest away.
spoon wrote: blocking only occurs when you're in combat (actively attacking) and an enemy hits you for 0, meaning its only effect on gameplay is to grant you 1 exp when you mitigate all damage
This is incorrect. Check your blocking chance on your character window. Dex chars will have a much higher percentage to block - since they are agile and swift. That being said I made them(dex chars) block even better.
blocking.png
blocking.png (11.65 KiB) Viewed 5083 times
spoon wrote: where potions always heal a static amount
I may make potions heal much more often than they do now, based on their difficulty to attain.
DEV Proskier

spoon

Post by spoon » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:44 pm

spoon wrote: Enemy tracking and movement in general needs work, any idea how you intend for it to work?
no bug here, if you have a suggestion - suggest it
Fishing for mobs isn't all that fun, less so when healing often fails and the mobs reset at the distance they currently do. Are you able to have them walk back to their 'area' if they're not hit for xx amounts of second after being aggro'd?
Movement for players is also a little choppy and occasionally movement imputs are not going through and the key needs to be released and repressed.
spoon wrote: I'm of the mind that failing at anything should grant you experience.
crafting tradeskills now grant 1/3 exp
By crafting you mean Carp and BS? I can understand that you wouldn't get experience when failing to gather as you obtain all the resources/items in the node regardless but it's still rather punishing to get zero exp from failing to refine. <3
spoon wrote: The combat system needs some new math
Your hit minus their armor. Your elemental hit minus their armor. I'm going to add in bonus to your attacks based on your weapon type skill level. Suggest away.
The problem becomes the massive increase in power when jumping into a new set of equipment, one level enemies beast you and the next they barely leave a dent. You could alleviate this by increasing all of the relevant numbers (health pool, damage, armor etc.) therefore lowering the relative increase between 'tiers' of equipment or you could go the other way and make the numbers tighter but then you risk upgrades being/feeling negligible. It's one of those problems that increases as there are more active players as right now there's minimal player interaction. PvP is currently enabled and I can't imagine many people being happy that they're unable to do any damage to another player that is 2-3 levels above them, meeting the requirements for better equipment.
spoon wrote: blocking only occurs when you're in combat (actively attacking) and an enemy hits you for 0, meaning its only effect on gameplay is to grant you 1 exp when you mitigate all damage
This is incorrect. Check your blocking chance on your character window. Dex chars will have a much higher percentage to block - since they are agile and swift. That being said I made them(dex chars) block even better.
blocking.png
I did notice the stat but I'm pretty sure it was not working that way before the patch but I'm eager to try it out, and I'm happy with the way it's intended to work.
spoon wrote: where potions always heal a static amount
I may make potions heal much more often than they do now, based on their difficulty to attain.
I'm not sure how you 'balance' around there being a large chance to do no healing. Do you account for it, don't you? Pots always healing is probbbbably for the best? You can always tweak the other factors that come into healing; cost, only crafted etc. :D

spoon

Post by spoon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:19 pm

I guess I forgot to suggest something in regards to armor etc. Would you consider changing armor to mitigate a % of damage, based on certain factors?

an example of a really simple forumla would be, though you may want other stats (such as player level) included.

Damage reduction = (armor / enemy level) x 10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:59 pm

I see no benefit in that new formula compared to what already exists. Players do not simply gain each set at once. They get it piece by piece (unless someone gives them it). That helps negate huge jumps. Not to mention the non class armor sets and random pieces of armor/weapons. Keep in mind I have yet to scratch the surface content wise.

I appreciate the suggestions and bugs you found! Always happy to hear more suggestions, and especially bugs ;)
DEV Proskier

spoon

Post by spoon » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:44 am

admin wrote:I see no benefit in that new formula compared to what already exists. Players do not simply gain each set at once. They get it piece by piece (unless someone gives them it). That helps negate huge jumps. Not to mention the non class armor sets and random pieces of armor/weapons. Keep in mind I have yet to scratch the surface content wise.

I appreciate the suggestions and bugs you found! Always happy to hear more suggestions, and especially bugs ;)
It was a very simple example but the DR is a % which I mistakenly left out, the % value allows for greater nuances of difficulty rather than spikes and also means balancing weapons of different speeds for dps isn't broken.
It's not really about how or when they attain it (and of course many players will attain it all at once, it's an online game), it's the power of the stat.

I kind of thought I was stating the obvious here?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:51 am

I appreciate your feedback, thanks.
DEV Proskier

spoon

Post by spoon » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:14 am

admin wrote:I appreciate your feedback, thanks.
Obviously not. Did I offend you, or seem arrogant or something? I thought you'd be open to discussions on design?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:28 pm

I have already implemented many things you have suggested/reported in less than a week. I would think that clearly shows I am open to suggestions/feedback.

This is the suggestions forum. I appreciate and look into all suggestions. However, that does not mean they will all be implemented as suggested.
DEV Proskier